More than Halfway There
This weekend was an important one. We had to get the majority of the upstairs done before the varnish goes on the floors meaning we can’t walk on them for a few days.
My goal was Lucy’s room. This past week, I got all the turquoise cut in.
After that was done, it was time to paint. I had a helper.
While painting, she told me, “”Momma, this is HARD WORK but I’m not going to give up. I see how hard you and Daddy work on our house and I want to too. I’m proud of us.” That makes this all worth it.
We got some bad news about the floors on Friday. They sanded them and the stains were still really bad.
To cover them up, we would have had to stain the floor REALLY dark. We also found out that these floors are not the original floors. The original floors were pine floors that were 40 foot planks that went the entire length of the house. You can see them in the back porch, here:
(Side note: If you can remember, that used to be covered in that ugly yellow and orange indoor/outdoor carpet-it’s gone! Can I get a “WHAT WHAT!”?)
Back to the hardwood saga, our current floors were put in on top of the original pine sometime in the 70s when you could get really inexpensive oak that was only 1/2 inch thick. It’s not good quality and it was so thin that this was the last time that we would be able to re-finish it.
The best course of action was to install new hardwood floor, which we decided to do. The room was prepped the best it could ever be with all the baseboards gone, no door casings, and no furniture. We went with period appropriate oak floors which will be finished with a clear coat, rather than a stain.
When I got to the house today, floor installation was already in progress.
At the same time, our new, badly needed, back door was being installed. The previous door was not an exterior door and had been cut down and not sealed. What this means is that the door sucked in water and was completely water logged and bringing moisture into the house where we plan to have new carpet installed. It had to go but it was also a custom job since the door was a strange size and was built into the foundation of the house.
While the floors were being installed, and John was putting the door in, Shaun was down prepping the basement to paint the trim.
I was upstairs, prepping Lucy’s room for the trim work and Lu was doing artwork. Thankfully, Miss Sarah-Marie was able to take Lucy for the afternoon so that we could all focus on our jobs.
During the door casing removal, we got a glimpse into what the house used to look like. We suspected that the area to get down to the basement used to be a porch are and it looks like we were right. You can see in this picture that there is old wooden siding on both sides of the wall.
Another odd thing we discovered this weekend is that our ceilings used to be at least a foot higher than they are now. We have 8-9 foot ceilings now, which are a good height. They used to be 10 feet tall! Shaun and Danny were trying to switch the side that our light switches are on in the bathroom. Shaun thought it would be an easy fix-just go up to the attic and pull the wires up. Shaun got up there and there were no wires. He searched and searched and no wires. He then noticed a 1 foot gap where the old ceilings used to be and where our current ceilings are. The missing wires? They were in the gap between the 2 ceilings. Shaun ended up cutting a hole in old ceiling and getting in between the 2 to get the wires where they need to be.
After many hours (Danny says 16 between the two of them), Danny and Shaun were victorious and they got it re-wired!
At the end of the day today, here’s what the house looked like:
The new floors stop about halfway through the room. He had to stop at the doorway today. Basically, where the stains start is where the new hardwood stops.
Here’s our (almost done!) bathroom. It’s really hard to get a good picture of the colors because there’s very little natural light in there.
Isn’t it gorgeous?
I should have used a flash in the following pictures:
It’s very close to being done!
Our room is done but it’s also full of baseboards for the living room so it’s hard to get a good picture.
All the room needs is new, non-almond, outlets and switches, the new light installed, and the carpet installed.
Here’s Lu’s room. I got one coat of white on all the trim and the closet. It needs one more coat, the updated outlets and switches, the light reattached until we can get to Ikea for this one, and then it’s done.
I LOVE the way it is turning out.
Our new door! It doesn’t look exciting but it is!
Look-no water! No towel! No icicles!
Shaun needs another coat of white on the trim in the basement, he needs to paint the door, and update the outlets and switches to white.
You can see the old pink in the closet in this picture.
I can’t believe how great it’s looking and that I have to start packing. We move in less than two weeks!